Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Stripping over my words

I worked with a manager from France in my last job. Renaud was one of the smartest people I've ever worked with. However, given that English wasn't his first (or second) language, he had occasional problems with English idioms. We kept a list of his idiomatic expressions. Of course, if the situation were reversed, we would screw up French idioms just as much.

TopicRenaudism
Finality of numbers"It's not that those numbers have to be set in marble."
Phone Tag "I'm sorry that we keep playing tag phone."
Kissing up "I don't need you to lick ass."
Getting to the point "We need to cut to the chest."
Bad mornings "Did you wake up on the wrong side of the foot?"
Non disclosures"You can't look at that because you haven't signed the DNA yet."
Unappealing jobs"What would repeal you from this job?"
Renaud's brightness"I'm not the sharpest tool on the shelf."
Training"You can't teach a monkey a new face."
Leaving for the day"I'm about to quit the building."
Talking about others"I wouldn't talk in your back."
Sucky jobs"My friends have dead hand jobs."
Picking your battles"Don't kill the hand that feeds you."
Go ahead, make my day "Be my guess."
Tripping over my words"Stripping over my words."
It strikes me that..."It strikes my mind that..."
Probability"Shoot fish in a pond."
That's a relief"That's a large weight off your stomach."

1 comment:

Happy A. said...

As someone who routinely butchers French (and Spanish) idioms, this is hilarious!